Friday, September 12, 2008

Melissa's Barbie Cake


For Melissa's birthday while we were on the houseboat, I made her a barbie cake. Here it is! As you can see, the actual cake (the part you eat) is supposed to be decorated like a dress, Barbie's dress. The decorating clearly did not turn out that wonderful, but I blame it on the heat at Lake Powell. The red stripes were actually little flowers lined up underneath each other, but because of the heat, it all just kind of melted together and thus, the stripe look. But I saw this cake decorating experience as a trial, since beginning when Harlow turns 1, I am going to start making her these kind of Barbie cakes for her birthday. When I make her her very first one, in 6 more months, my decorating should have improved by them. I will post pictures of it when I make it.
Although the decorating didn't turn out the way I wanted, the cake was a success, and everyone loved it. Especially since I made it a "Pastel de Tres Leches" (3 milk cake) meaning the cake had sweetened condensed milk, heaving whipping cream, and milk, all added to the cake to make it a wet cake......... My Favorite!